logo Euraxess Services

Accommodation in Italy

In Italy there are different housing options, from individual/shared apartments to single/double rooms. To know more about accommodation, please read carefully the following information.

Before the researcher moves to Italy, he/she can reserve a room in advance in order to have time to look for accommodation. There are several solutions like B&Bs, hotels and hostels. Useful information can be found on the Italian Tourism Board website (ENIT) ( ), on (, at ( and on the Italian Youth Hostel website ( Another source of information is CTS, the Students’ Tourism Centre (
Moreover, some Italian universities and research centres provide short term accommodation. It is recommended to contact in advance the host organisation to check availability.

In Italy there are different housing options and solutions to find accommodation:
- renting an apartment on your own
- sharing an apartment with other students or researchers
The availability and costs of accommodation vary considerably depending on the city, the location and the facilities provides.
Find accommodations
Some Italian universities and research centers provide accommodation for free or at lower prices to foreign researchers, but in most cases, especially for long stays, researchers need to arrange their own accommodation. Websites of universities and research organisations often have a section dedicated to accommodation for foreign students/researchers.
For more information on available accommodation in a specific town, you can contact the host organisation or the nearest EURAXESS Services Centre.
In case you are looking for a flat/house to rent you can get in contact with an estate agency located in your city of destination.

Please note: non-EU researchers, when applying for a visa, must give evidence of accommodation or a residential address in Italy. It is therefore highly recommended that researchers contact the hosting institution well in advance to ascertain whether any accommodation is available for the whole length of the stay, and to make all the necessary arrangements before leaving their home country.

Please note that the legal procedure Cessione di Fabbricato concerns Italian, EU, EEA and Non-EU citizens. According to Italian Law (Art. 12 D.L. 21.3.1978. n. 59, law 18.5.1978 n. 191) anyone who gives hospitality, sells or rents a property to someone else for a period longer than 30 days (uninterrupted), must declare it to the Local Police Headquarter (Questura) within 48 hours. The form Comunicazione di cessione di fabbricato must be filled in and signed by the property owner or by the tenant in case of a rent contract. In addition, it may be requested for the permit of stay. For more information and to download the form please see: .

Some useful tips:

  • Before entering the accommodation, the payment beforehand of a deposit (usually two months’ rent) plus one month rent is normally required. The deposit must be returned within two months from the termination of the lease, but the landlord is allowed to keep the entire deposit or a part of it to cover any damages, redecoration costs, etc.
  • Additional payments might be required in advance when using the services of an estate agency: these normally charge a variable percentage between 2-4% on the total amount of the rent contract.
  • In Italy the rent is paid monthly according to the contract signed by the landlord and the tenant. In general, the cost depends on the facilities provided (i.e. washing machine, internet, telephone, etc.) and the location. For this reason it is very important to read the lease contract carefully.
  • In general the documents required in order to sign a lease contract are: valid ID, the Italian tax identification number and of course the deposit. Please, ask the landlord about which documents to bring when signing the contract.
  • In general utilities like electricity, gas, telephone, hot water and heating are not included in the rent. The researcher may also be asked to pay the municipal waste tax and building running costs for communal area (management, electricity, insurance, etc.). The researcher should also ask to see the bills for the telephone and utilities (electricity, gas and water) and check that the previous tenant has paid the bills up-to-date, otherwise he/she could be liable for any outstanding bills. When the researcher leaves the accommodation, he/she must remember to cancel the utilities contract.
  • Apartments are usually equipped with the following items of furniture: Kitchen fittings, Beds, Tables and chairs, Couch, Wardrobes, Bookcase, closets, etc. Before coming, it is better to contact the landlord or the estate agency and ask about the furniture items already available in the apartment or in the room (i.e. pillows, mattress, lamps, etc.) and about the bed equipment (bed linen, blankets, duvet, etc.).
  • In general, according to the Italian law and the lease contract, a written six month non-renewal notice (disdetta) is due to the owner prior to the termination of the contract. The notice should be sent by registered mail with a return receipt (raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno). The notice period may be shortened to three months in the case of annual contracts. It is recommended to verify with the owner the conditions stated in the contract.

For a practical glossary on housing and main accommodation contracts, click here.

Average: 4 (1 vote)
Last update : 7 Jul 2014 - 13:35