logo Euraxess Services

Visa and entry

Citizens of EU/EEA Member States or Switzerland
Less than 3 months EU/EEA/Swiss nationals are allowed to freely travel and stay in Italy and in other countries of the European Union for periods up to three months without any formalities. A valid ID or passport is required.
More than 3 months If the stay in Italy exceeds  90 days, it is requested to register at the Register office (Ufficio Anagrafe) at the City Hall by submitting for example, passport or valid ID, Italian Tax identification number (codice fiscale), work contract or proof of sufficient means of subsistence (i.e. study grant), proof of health insurance (EHIC card, registration to Italian National Health Service - SSN or private health policy), etc. Additional documents may be asked. It is recommended to contact in advance the City Hall Register office to know the list of documents requested.
N.B. Before leaving Italy the researcher should give notice of the departure to the Registry office.
If you are from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland you may need a visa, depending on where you come from and what you intend to do while you are in Italy. To find out whether an entry visa (e.g. type C, type D, etc.) is needed or not and which documents are required for the application, it is possible to query the Visa data base of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The request must be submitted at the Italian Embassy or General Consulates in the country of origin or residence. Once in Italy, for period longer than 3 months, foreigners are required to apply for the permit of stay.
Less than 3 months
Foreigners allowed to stay in Italy for less than 3 months for study, tourism, business or visit reasons, do not need to apply for a permit of stay but it is required to:

- when travellling from a Schengen State within 8 days after being arrived in Italy it must be submitted  the form Declaration of presence (Dichiarazione di presenza) at the Police Head Quarter (Questura )
- when entering Italy from a non-Schengen States the border authorities will put a uniform Schengen stamp on the passport. More information can be found here.
More than 3 months
A permit of stay is required to legally stay in Italy for more than 90 days. The request for the permit of stay must be made within 8 days after the arrival in Italy. It is issued by the Police Head Quarter (Questura) and entails the payment of about € 150 for management costs (e.g. revenue stamps, postal giro slip, etc.). To fill in the request form it is possible to ask advice to the host organisation (i.e. university, research centres, etc.) or to Immigration services (Patronati) which offer advice and support to foreigners on immigration and daily-life formalities. The application form must be sent by post. A fingerprinting appointment will be taken at Questura in about 20 days. The postal receipt must be kept together with the passport as it replaces the permit of stay until the original is ready. It should be issued within 45 days.
Travelling in and out Italy when waiting for the first permit of stay or for the renewal, is allowed only from Italy to the country of origin or through other States. Transit or flight connections in one of the Schengen States are not allowed.
Holders of long-stay visa and valid permit of stay issued by one of EU Member States may, on the basis of that permit and a valid travel document, move freely for up to three months in any six-month period in the Schengen area. An Entry Visa for other EU countries is not required.
The renewal of the permit must be submitted (at least) starting from 60 days before it expires. It is advisable to do it two month before.
Integration agreement
It is aimed at facilitating the integration of foreign nationals. It shall be signed by all foreigners, aged over 16, coming from a third country who enter Italy for the first time for a period of 1 year or more. The Italian authorities are committed to provide language and civic education sessions and foreigners are committed to meet their civic obligations. A credit-based approach is used and the credits obtained are required to continue staying on the national territory at the end of the second year of stay. Before leaving Italy foreigners will be invited to show the documents regarding their civic obligations .


Permit of stays are distinguished as follows:
Study permit of stay
Foreigners willing to pursue a doctoral degree in Italy or within some type of research training fellowships,  will be entitled to come and stay in Italy with a permit of stay for study.
When applying for the permit of stay for study, along with a copy of the passport, it must be provided evidence of sufficient means of subsistence (i.e grants, fellowships, etc.), accommodation (i.e. lease contract), copy of health insurance policy  valid for Italy (i.e. registration at the National health system or private health policy) and a photocopy of the study programme certified by the Italian Embassy/Consulate (if needed). Additional documents can be asked from the Local Police Head Quarter. Please contact in advance the host organisation for further information.
Research permit of stay
Researchers are entitled to stay in Italy in the framework of a hosting agreement with an acknowledged research organisation (either private or public), university, SMEs or larger company by the Ministry for University and Research to carry out a research project officially approved by the host institution with an official document. The researcher may have any of these three contract types: Self-employment, Subordinate, Grant for research training.
N.B. The permit of stay for research purposes may be requested also by a researcher already in Italy with a valid permit of stay (i.e. study, work, etc. except as a temporary refugee). The entry visa is not requested. She/he will be asked to sign the hosting agreement with the research hosting institution.
The procedure foresees a request for an entry clearance (Nulla Osta) by the host organisation, and later on the release of the entry visa for research purpose within 6 months from the "entry clearance" (Nulla Osta). It is strongly advised, when contacted, to ask the Embassy and/or Consulate which documents are needed for the interview.
Once in Italy, the researcher must apply for a permit of stay for scientific research purposes within 8 days from his/her arrival, at Sportello Unico per l'Immigrazione office (Immigration Office at Prefettura). While waiting for the permit of stay it is possible to carry out research activities. In general the permit of stay is issued depending on the length of the project indicated in the hosting agreement. If the research project is extended, the permit of stay can be renewed to cover the extended period of the research project by submitting the renewed hosting agreement.
When a researcher has been admitted in another EU Member State with a visa for research purposes and wants to come to Italy to continue the same research project already started in the other EU country, an entry visa is not requested, providing that the hosting agreement must also include a period of research activity in Italy.
The request for research entry visa, the procedure to follow and the documentation requested are fully explained in: Practical Guide : entry and residence procedure for third-country researchers

For more information, contact the Host organisation or the nearest EURAXESS Services Centre.
Main reference legal texts

  • Directive 2005/71/EC of 12 October 2005
  • Legislative Decree 9 January 2008, n.17 
  • Ministerial Decree 11 April 2008 
  • Ministerial Note of 16 April 2008 n. 956 (to the Rectors) 
  • Ministerial Note of 16 April 2008 n. 957 (to the Presidency and to Local Institutions) 
  • Ministerial Note of 17 Marche 2014 n. 35/1817 (operational procedure)
  • Model Hosting Agreement (Convenzione di accoglienza)


Average: 5 (1 vote)
Last update : 17 Mar 2015 - 14:40