logo Euraxess Services

When you leave Italy

To follow a list of "useful tips" on things to do when you leave Italy permanently
Inform the Registry office (Ufficio Anagrafe) of your departure. 
Health insurance
If you have subscribed a private health insurance, check its expiry date or contact the insurance company well in advance if you are going to leave earlier.
Tax and pension
It is recommended to check with your host organisation if you need to settle taxes before leaving Italy i.e tax return.
Get an up-to-date statement of your pension contributions by contacting directly INPS or the national Institute in charge for your sector. To help you in these procedures, you can contact well in advance an immigration/social services (PATRONATO office).
Accommodation (rent, utilities)
Send a non-renewal notice (disdetta) to the owner according to the terms indicated in the contract. The notice should be sent by registered mail with a return receipt (raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno) well in advance. Remember to ask for any deposit back. For more information: SUNIA - Sindacato Unitario Nazionale Inquilini e Assegnatari (the national tenants' union).
Ask the landlord for any deposit back (namely how to get it back). Please arrange an appointment with your landlord to show him the flat/room and check that anything is proper or whether you have to pay for something broken or damaged.
Shut off the utilities contracts (electricity, gas, telephone, etc.) only if they are registered under your name. On the contrary, when bills are included in the monthly rent, ask the landlord how to pay the last gas/electricity/phone bills.

Driving licence
Notify at the Motororizzazione civile office your departure, in case you have exchanged (conversione) your driving licence or your driving licence has been recognised (riconoscimento) in Italy. For more information see also the section Practical information.

Bank or post office account
Contact in due time the Bank/Post Office for more information about procedures (i.e. documents, terms, etc.) in order to close your bank or post office account or to inform them about your address abroad.
Schools/childcare services
Notify your children’s school or childcare provider that you will be moving abroad well in advance. Some private childcare providers have a notice period (you may have to pay extra fees if you give your notice after the prescribed deadline).
Remember to cancel in advance the subscriptions you might have taken out in Italy or inform them about your new address out of Italy.

Average: 5 (1 vote)
Last update : 22 Dec 2014 - 15:30